Follow me on Twitter

Follow CharlesFrench on Twitter

Thursday, July 22, 2010

To cuff or not to cuff....

Cuffs are the turned-up margin of trouser bottoms. This feature serves the basic purpose of protecting pants from fraying or any other kind of damage from wet and muddy conditions. Although King Edward VII is considered the originator of the traditional cuffed pant in the 1890s, they became an American standard in the early 20th century.


Since then, cuffed pants remain a mark of quality in bespoke tailored pants as well as off-the-rack pants. They should be regarded as a stylish embellishment to a properly fitted pair of pants, but also as a helpful tool in accentuating individual features. Remember, cuffed pants are definitely considered the dressier option when wearing a standard suit or the odd trouser, but they are not to appear on black-tie tuxedo pants.

It was once asked in my professional opinion when pant cuffs are appropriate. When it comes to tailoring, pleated trousers should always have cuffs, period. The weight of the cuff will help the trouser leg hang and both physically and visually balance the peats up top. On flat front pants it’s more of an option dictated by personal preference. This is what I tell my clients. I generally put 1.5" cuffs on all my dress slacks.

The reason I like cuffs in my slacks is because it gives a more professional and stylish touch. When the cuff is hemmed above the heel of the shoe, it gives a nice dip in the front of the shoe. I mostly wear wide leg slacks because I have large legs. Cuffs in the wide leg pants are a must!!

Always remember..."A well dressed man is more confident, a confident man is more productive."

My ultimate recommendation is always to go with what you like and what feels right, because in the end you’re the one wearing the clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment